Etiquette in Qatar and the Do’s and Don’ts
Today, we will take a look at the do’s and dont’s of accepted etiquette in Qatar that visitors to the The Global Competition 2022 should take note of, in order to avoid any unnecessary misunderstandings!
I am sure you have heard of the phrase “When in Rome, do as the Romans do” Below I have especially compiled a few of the most important tips on the do’s and don’ts etiquette while you are visiting Qatar for the Global Competition.
Etiquette in Qatar – respect the etiquette, culture and traditions of the Qatari
- Do dress conservatively, men should wear long trousers and a shirt in public. if you wear shorts they should cover the knees. If you intend to go to a government building, men should wear long trousers, shorts are unacceptable. A long sleeve shirt should also be worn. Even men need to cover their arms and legs.
- Women do need to cover their shoulders, upper arms and knees.Qataris are always modestly dressed.
Dressing etiquette for women
You will see many Qatari women wearing a Abayas although not compulsory the local ladies do wear them as a symbol of their culture and heritage. Ladies who intend to visit a mosque, will also need to cover their hair along with their arms, shoulders and knees.
- When meeting or being introduced, men shake hands, men don’t shake hands with a woman.
- Do negotiate with the store keeper in the souk for a better price, it is quite acceptable
- Do, always ask if you can take a photograph, if it is in a public place. No photographs are allowed of Government buildings, military and some industrial sites, including some internal and external parts of the airport or shopping malls, for security reasons.
- Don’t drink alcohol in Public spaces unless in a bar or hotel. There are very strict rules in place for the consumption of alcohol.
Don’t carry or use Drugs – being caught in possession of illegal drugs will find you in prison, Qatar has zero tolerance for being in possession of drugs.
Read more on Expatica also in iloveqatar.
Don’t forget to sign up at our favourite bookie bet365
Last but not least another tip!
Now that you have the basics on the ‘do’s and don’ts regarding etiquette and the culture in Qatar ahead of the Global Competition 2022, we wish you an enjoyable time.
See you there!